Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chapter 14 - The End is Nigh! (well, Christmas holidays, at least!)

The Last Two Weeks in Saarbruecken
(Monday 7th - Friday 18th December)

So, because I've had a lot to do during the last couple of weeks, I may have decided that the blog wasn't my highest priority - or I may simply have forgotten to update it!

Quite a lot has happened over here during the last couple of weeks, which I shall now attempt to chronicle!

The week following our Nuremberg adventure was slightly more interesting than normal. On the Thursday, I had been summoned (well, invited really, but summoned sounds more important) by the Ministry for Women, Families, and Education to record some instructions for the German equivalent of A-Level listening exams this year. Naturally I could disclose in a public forum what the topics to be covered are...but that would render me somewhat (to coin a French phrase) dans la merde. So, as such, I shall refrain from detailing the topics and types of activities to be covered here; lest somehow it got into the wrong hands. (I know it's not National Secrets, but it wouldn't be fair for some kids to know the topics and others not to!). What I can say though is it took me about half an hour, and involved me speaking slower than I would normally speak, whilst simultaneously (nice word there!) trying to make it sound natural - this was not the easiest thing in the world. However, the Ministry decided that it wasn't challenging, and I would have to work a bit harder to earn my money - so they wrote it in English, which we, or I at least, simply wouldn't use - but my job was simply to read the script - and like anyone with a good GCSE Drama result - I know how important it is to forget about whatever crap it is you're actually saying and concentrate on how you actually say it! Needless to say, I managed to get through the 30 minutes and earned myself a little bit more money.

On Friday, it was the turn of some of the other assistants to go and do some recording for the Ministry. They were, however, being paid twice as much as me, and subsequently I hoped they had to work for it - which I'm reliably informed they did - they actually had to think about what they wanted to say...I'm not cut out for thinking - especially not in English! After the others had finished at the Ministry (some five hours later) we decided we'd head into Sarreguemines. The reason for this is two-fold; we hadn't been there for a little while, and certainly not in the run up to Christmas, and secondly because they had a Christmas market and I was curious to see what a town like Sarreguemines would produce under the banner of a Christmas market! I was neither surprised nor overwhelmed! As you will now from my previous blog entries (which, obviously you've all read), Sarreguemines is a distinctly small, but pleasant French town (probably about the size of Corsham, for those of you who are from my neck of the woods). Their Christmas Market consisted of about 13 stalls, which were all located in front of the train station and the Courts. Throughout the town there was also Christmas music being played through loudspeakers! After a brief wander, the obligatory cafe visit, and a look at the Market, we headed back to Saarbruecken on the tram and prepared ourselves for our adventure to Strasbourg the following day!

Saturday came around, and today was the day we'd decided to head back to Strasbourg to savour what is supposed to be the best Christmas Market in France. We caught the train at about 10.35, which was due into Strasbourg at about the 12 o'clock mark. Now, as a commuter at home I'm used to busy trains...but I've never been on a train that was so busy that the train crew were preventing people at the stations from boarding the train. Luckily the four of us travelling there had managed to get seats; unfortunately the seats faced the toilet - but beggars can't be choosers! On arrival in Strasbourg we found a cafe - as is compulsary wherever we go - from where we looked at where we wanted to go. We decided to do the things further out of the city centre and then work our way back into the centre, where the main part of the Christmas Market was located. We got on the trams, which if I'm honest aren't quite as efficient (for efficient read fast) as the faithful Saarbahn. We first stopped off at Place de la Republique, which had a large number of official looking buildings, and according to Harriet, 14 Tricolores flying - just in case any random German soldiers walked in and were unsure as to who Strasbourg belonged to perhaps? From there we went out to look at the European Parliament and other European Institution buildings. Now, I can mind-read, the European Parliament is in Brussels I hear you say - well, yes, you're right...but basically there's one in Strasbourg too, because the French President at the time wanted the European Union (or EEC, or whatever it was called back then!) to be based in France; not an unreasonable request you might think. However, it is important here to realise something about the French psyche here...France and her people are like small children...give them a centimetre and they take a kilometer (measurements duly changed for realism!), and when you say no to them they throw their toys out of their metaphorical tram - either by threatening to refuse to take part (as in the case of the EU), or by striking (there are to many examples of French strikes to list here!). The former is exactly what happened in Strasbourg; because France threatened not to play the game any more, the EU gave in and let them have a Parliament building - it is used about once a month, or maybe even less...but it keeps the French happy, and that just makes for a quieter life for everyone! Thereafter, we had a look at a few other interesting looking parts of Strasbourg, before heading back into the centre.
In the centre of Strasbourg there were, and at the time of writing, probably still are, lots of small markets (I understand there to be about 12 in total), which alltogether make up the Strasbourg Christmas Market. We had a brief look through the market on our way to a "Tudoresque" area of Strasbourg, called La Petite France, which is very nice. From there we headed, again, back into the centre and went to the Cathedral. The Cathedral is pleasant, but not as nice as some of the ones I've visited previously. Moreover, there were so many people there, it made it more of forced procession through, rather than walking through at your own pace, and enjoying it. So, we left after about 1/3 of the way round. From here, we had a good look at the Christmas Market. I'm not going to describe the market too much, it's similar to most other Christmas Markets; full of; brightly coloured sheds selling stuff, mulled wine, people pushing their way through, and a bloody cold night too! Despite all of these things, it was a very pleasant day out; I do like Strasbourg, and I like Christmas more this year than I have done for a few years now! If you want to see my pictures from Strasbourg, then click here.

Sunday was set to be a rather uninteresting day; I'd planned to sort out my pictures and write my blog, and generally be lazy! However, something exciting happened to us here in Saarbruecken...............................it...............................SNOWED!!! Proper thick snow, that wasn't melting as soon as it hit the ground!

I woke up about 8 ish, as I usually do on Sunday, turned on the computer, and popped out to the bathroom. On the way, I looked out of the window and then I saw it...white snow all over the garden and still falling from the sky! So, I stayed in bed and did my photos and then decided I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by, so I went out with my camera and a pair of waterproof boots and walked all over the city taking photos of the snow. It was very pretty, and somehow, in an almost childlike way, exciting. After being out for a couple of hours I got a message from one of the other assistants about going to play in the snow - now as a mature 20 year old, working in a position of responsibility in a school, I jumped at the chance! We met on an almost untouched area on the bank of the river and threw a few snowballs, prior to building a snowman. The snowman, whom I should refer to by his name; Rudolf the Red Nosed Snowman. You can see my photos of the snow, and of Rudolf here.

Monday was a pretty normal day, I went to school, went shopping and then went home! Nothing interesting there!

Tuesday morning was just as usual at the school, but in the afternoon some of us assistants had organised to go Ice Skating. It didn't start well for me...admittedly it's been nearly 10 years since I did it last! But I didn't fall over for at least an hour, by which time I'd improved (not quite to Torville and Dean level, but going in the right direction!). In the end I fell over three times, without any serious injuries - apart from to my pride, luckily though, the kids who had been watching from my Gesamtschule had long since left!

After a couple of hours ice skating, it was time for me to go to the Gesamtschule Christmas Dinner. A pleasant meal in a restaurant under the town hall was had, and a good opportunity to get to know my colleagues a bit better! (i.e. learning some of their names!) Back home by 10, in bed by 11...ready for a 6am start the following day - it's a tough life!

Wednesday, again, was a normal day at the Gesamtschule - although it was my last day there of 2009! After work, I met Esther for lunch, as she's going home after work on Thursday. Again, an afternoon of genuinely intelligent conversation followed (terrorism legislation, ID Cards, Knife Crime, Theme tune from Playdays, Favourite children's TV programmes!). After lunch, I came home and tidied my room, and did the majority of the packing for my homeward trip on Friday.

So, today, Thursday 17th December, is my last full day in Germany before Christmas - and quite a lot was undertaken. I went to my Gymnasium for the second lesson, where I took part in a tutorial session with Sabine (my mentor teacher), after which we went to the Christmas Church Service, which was very good (although I declined to sing, or pray aloud for fear of looking more of a muppet than normal). I found that it was relatively easy to understand and follow. After the Church Service, all the teachers went for a meal (which was, obviously, the main reason for going into work today!) at a restaurant on the other side of the hill where I live. The restaurant overlooks a lake, which because of our cold snap (since Saturday afternoon, the temperature's not managed to rise above 0 degrees), was frozen over. During the meal, the snow started again, which just looked serene!
After lunch I headed into town and met up with Claire and Lucy, and whilst there we waved off Esther and Harriet on their ICE to Paris. The exodus has begun!
So, what of this evening; I've got a suitcase to finish packing, I've got to dust and mop my room, and then maybe think about sleeping, but not before putting my phone on charge for the morning!

Tomorrow, I take the train from Saarbruecken at 8am, and get home at 1710 GMT. I'll update you on the journey when I get home, between working shifts at Morrisons!

No comments:

Post a Comment