Monday, September 28, 2009

Chapter Four - The fourth week

Monday 28th September

Well, I survived my lesson on London with the 8. Klasse. It went surprisingly well, we managed to do most of the work I'd planned, although I planned too much to realistically get through, so it's not really a failure in that respect! The kids took to it really well and were really responsive! After that lesson, I was in the 10. Klasse lesson, which was pretty uneventful, although I learnt a new technique for vocab learning, which was quite interesting. Following that lesson, I worked with another 8. Klasse, where I was invited, by the class tutor, to go rowing on the Saar with him and his tutor group on their "Wandertag" tomorrow, which should be nice! Then I worked with another English class, whose teacher will be away in Barcelona for a week in a fortnights time - so I have been drafted in to work as a cover teacher for her lessons. This will entail working with the 5., 6., and 9. classes for 5 lessons over the Monday and Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it, I do like a challenge, and it should be another interesting experience - taking me slightly out of my comfort zone. As classroom experience goes, it will be a second to none opportunity!

Today was the first of my lessons with the Oberstufe classes too. That also went well, we discussed a wide range of topics, and again, as per usual, I was very impressed at their English proficiency. I tend to approach these lessons in an informal manner, as I believe that the way for me to get the best out of the sixth form students, who are the most self-conscious about their language in front of a native speaker, (I know I was one not very long ago!), is for me to make the lesson a relaxed lesson, which gives me, also, the opportunity to raise my game a bit if they are still proving difficult to work with!

After work, I met up with another of the assistants in Saarbruecken for a drink, and a general chin-wag. I enjoy the time spent with other English speakers, it is a nice way to relax. I don't feel it's detrimental in any way, because I spend the whole day communicating through German with everyone else around. That doesn't just mean speaking, I listen to a lot of German here too, and obviously have plenty of information to read (especially bureaucracy!), while I'm here too! So it's nice to have a bit of time to relax without having to remember what case to use, and where to put the verb in the sentence!

So, tomorrow, a nice row on the Saar, followed by a little pic-nicking by the river, followed, in turn, by a trip to the Cinema! All in all, a very stressful day tomorrow methinks. Not to worry though, I can use my Kollegiumausflug on Thursday to Metz to recover!


Tuesday 29th September

Today I felt like Ratty out of the Wind in the Willows. I spent the morning rowing a dragon boat on the Saar with one of the English teacher's tutor groups for their Wandertag. A Wandertag is basically run twice a year for the tutor groups to get to know each other in a more relaxed and fun environment. The reason for the dragon boat rowing was because the class wanted to do something team-building focused, and it was that! The first challenge for some of the kids was deciding which boat-related club to wait outside...the Rowing Club or the Canoe Club? The correct answer was, in fact, the Canoe Club; so having got over the first hurdle, we then approached the second hurdle head on. (I fear that may be a mixed metaphor, but who's checking!?!) This involved moving the dragon boats from the stands where they looked quite comfortable, and putting them on a trolley, and then plunging them into the Saar. This sounds like a relatively simple procedure, but the dragon boats weigh 250kg each (a quarter of a tonne) and there were 5 adults and 26 children (who were of varying levels of excitement; from "I don't want to do this, I might get wet" to "I'm in the boat first") to move them. Still, after much huffing and puffing (either like the Big Bad Wolf or a Steam Engine; whichever comparison is easier for you to imagine!) we managed to get both of the boats in the water.

Now, those of you who have seen professional dragon boat rowing will notice that all the oarsmen (and women) all row in time with each other. This took a while to get right (or as near to right as it was possible to get with the kids!), but we got there in the end. Then, after some more practising of technique (I'd never realised it was quite as complicated as it actually is - especially when I had to translate the instructions from the Trainer!), we had a race...or two races in fact...which I can proudly say our boat won with a clear victory. This was partly due to the fact that we were simply more co-ordinated, but may have had something to do with the fact that there were twice as many adult oarsmen on our boat than on there's! Then we had a small tour of the Saar, although we still had to work for it! Then, after we got back to the embarkation point, we had to reverse the process to put them away. This time the kids were much more subdued and co-operative. (For subdued, read tired!).

After the rowing, we had a picnic on Potato Island; which is a kind of fake beach for Saarbruecken, that has a bar, and food facilities etc. during the summer months. Then, we went to the cinema to see "Oben", (in English "Up") a Disney Pixar film, in 3d. I felt slightly odd wearing two pairs of glasses for the film, but it was a good film. I probably wouldn't have gone to see it normally, but it was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Following the film, I made one of my regular trips to Edeka to do some shopping, and that was Tuesday really. We really should have more days like this in the UK!


Wednesday 30th September

Back to work today, after my stressful day rowing yesterday! Today was my day of 2 lessons at the Gesamtschule, followed by an Oberstufe lesson at the Ludwigsgymnasium this afternoon!

The first lesson passed without major incident at the Gesamtschule, working with the kids on the topic of school, so that they could prepare a short text about their school. The second lesson was more of, let's say, a challenge. I was trying to teach them how to tell the time. This should not be a particularly big challenge one would think...with the exception of half past (in German they say half-to), all that is required is to translate the words into English. However, apart from a couple of very keen pupils, they seemed to have switched off. Their teacher was also surprised about their apparent difficulties. Ah well, we'll get there in the end!

The next stage of the day was expected to be the most challenging and stressful element of the day. Over three weeks ago I opened a bank account, with which I was told I would be sent a card and PIN through the post within about 10 days. As it had been so long, and as I'd moved I went back to the bank today with the intention of having an argument with them about their inefficiency and general poor service. So, when I told the cashier the problem, he simply explained the woman who opened my account with me was wrong, and that I shouldn't have been told they would be sent to me. I was, instead, expected to pick them up, and that he would go and get them for me there and then. When you come across service like this, it's very difficult to stay cross for long - it would seem that the management of LloydsTSB and Halifax should join the First Group management on a working trip to remind them what Customer Services is all about.

After that had taken the wind out of my sails, I went home, put some washing on (I'm becoming more and more domesticated over here - I'll be allowed on the Sofa soon!), and then ambled down to the Ludwigsgymnasium. As before, I don't tend to plan anything specifically for the Oberstufe speaking lessons, I tend to pick a starting discussion topic and see where that leads! Again, it was a nice, informal class, with the students doing most of the speaking, which was, as expected, of a high standard.

Once I'd finished at the school, I met up with one of the assistants in town, and we had a nice stroll along the Saar in the sunshine!


Thursday 1st October

Today was the Kollegiumsausflug to Metz (France). For those non-Germanists (which is indeed a word!) among you, for Kollegiumsausflug - read Staff Jolly. So, we rendez-vous(ed) at the school for a prompt 9 o'clock departure on the coach to Metz. The coach journey itself was relatively uneventful, got held up slightly crossing into the border by the Douanes.

Here, it would be appropriate to mention my surprise at actually seeing Douanes. I thought they were some mythical beings of the French Minsitere de l'Interieur. In all my trips to France (and there have been quite a few), I have actually seen a Douane at the port/border crossing ONCE. (Even then, I may have been mistaken, I was getting off a ferry at 6am, so it may have simply been the cleaner larking about for all I know!). I am of the opinion that there are two possible reasons that Douanes are so seldom seen: One is that a lot of their work is done in plain clothes so as to catch the perpetrators of heinous crimes against the Hexagone in the act; the other, and, in my opinion, more plausible, reason for their being concealed is that they simply don't give a damn!

Now, back to the story! The Douanes had decided today that our coach was worth a stop. They looked slightly bemused to see a coach registered in France, being driven by a German, and full of German people. They checked everyone's ID cards and seemed satisfied, until they got to me. Now, being a British Citizen, I know I can travel freely between France and Germany until I get bored. However, the Douane who got to me had still not recovered from the confusion over the coach and its load, and was even more surprised to see an English person in the middle of this coach of German people. He asked me, in French (naturally, it is assumed by French figures of authority that if you are visiting France, you obviously speak fluent French - if you don't, then you are treated with contempt!), why I was on the coach. I explained that I was working at the school as an English assistant and was taking part in their Kollegiumsausflug (the French translation is slightly more wordy!). He was now very surprised by my ability to understand and reply to his question, and I fear I may have burst his little bubble of superiority there and then...but after a few more questions he seemed to get bored with me and moved onto the next person.

When we got to Metz itself, we took a ride on a Noddy Train with a guided tour of Metz (in German, naturally). The last time I remember riding on one of these noddy trains was when I was in Tunisia; it was so bumpy I'm still not 100% convinced my bones are back in the right places now! Noddy Trains, for those of you who aren't quite sure what I'm talking about, are also called Land Trains and are designed to give tourists a sightseeing tour without the effort of walking and trying to follow an umbrella. The passengers travel in carriages, which are effectively trailers without any suspension. Metz is an old city, and as an old city, it has old roads, old roads have cobbles, and cobbles are bumpy. This is not the worst of it though, Metz also seems to have some sort of Speed Hump fetish. The tour itself was interesting, the method of transport was somewhat less pleasant!

Bearing in mind, this is a staff jolly, no, sorry, Kollegiumsausflug, the emphasis there is on the word Kollegium (which refers to the Staff); I had, therefore, expected to go around Metz as a whole group, or maybe in smaller groups to see different things. This happened, partly. We all went for coffee together(this was after all France; when in Rome and all that). There, however, ended any real sort of group trips. I went to have a look at the Cathedral with one of the English teachers. The Cathedral itself is just astonishing - it's soooooooo big, the roof seems to be somewhere in the distance. In addition, there are some truly fantastic stained-glass windows there too. After that, we had a wander around some more of the town - before settling down in a cafe with some of the other teachers for a bit to eat!

The coach journey was uneventful. This was primarily because teachers in Germany are not programmed to function in the afternoon. The school-day starts at about 8ish in the morning, and is normally finished about half past one. Up until, say about half two, the teachers are fine! After this time, though, they begin to feel tired and require urgent sleep! So, the journey back was quiet enough because they were mostly asleep! This meant I had the chance to plan the lessons I will be covering when I come back from Altenberg.

When we got back, I went into town with a colleague and had a few drinks, and something to eat in town, before coming home and giving in to my eyelids' strongly persuasive desire to sleep!

Tomorrow is the start of the Tag der Deutschen Einheit celebrations here in Saarbruecken, so I'm thinking of going down and having a shufty around tomorrow!


Friday 2nd October

Today is the beginning of the national celebration of unity; which, as I said before, is being celebrated in Saarbruecken this year. To this end, I thought it would be nice to meet up with some of other assistants and have a nose around what was there. So we met in the usual place at about 12ish and had a cursory glance through the stands about Saarbruecken, and the sponsers' stands of the event, which were situated in the main street, Bahnhofstrasse. Then we ambled up to the Schloss, where there were a few stands relating to some of the Bundeslaender (Federal States). On the road below the Schloss, there was a stand for each Bundeslaender; so that they could raise their profile, talk about how the Fall of the Wall affected them, and sell some "local" food. For the record, the local food on nearly every single one was a type of sausage; except, if I remember rightly Rhineland Palatinate (who had cheesecake!), and Mecklenburg Pommerania (who had fish!). On the other side of the Saar, there is also some stands devoted to the various seats of power (Parliament, Government and some of the Ministries). In front of the Staatstheater there is, at present, a stage where music is played during the day, and probably into the night as well!

While I'm on the subject of the Tag der Deutschen Einheit, I feel it worth pointing out how much higher the police presence is in Saarbruecken. They seem to have drafted in police officers from all over Saarland, along with some help from the national police, who are here too. Indeed, one of the helicopters of the Bundespolizei has been circling over Saarbruecken throughout the day. On top of all that German police power, there are also some PAF (Police Aux Frontieres - French Border Police) around (although this is not uncommon in Saarbruecken), there some members of the Gendarmerie Nationale and Police Nationale of France, along with some members of the Luxembourg National Police too patrolling the streets. I got the impression it may have been more of a jolly for them than actual work though!

After our excursion into town, I went to see a film with some of the other assistants - Die nackte Wahrheit. It was a Romantic Comedy film, which probably wasn't aimed at my demographic to be honest, but it was OK. It beat typing up lesson plans hands down, and it was an evening out - a chance to practise hearing German quite intensively (i.e. without the ability to go Wie, bitte? when it gets too complex) after a day, where English was quite heavily spoken today!

Tomorrow, then, Pete, a friend from my uni course, who is studying presently in Strasbourg (or Strassburg to the locals) is coming to visit me here and to experience the Tag der Deutschen Einheit!


Saturday 3rd October

The Tag der Deutschen Einheit! So, Pete came up from Strasbourg and got here about half nine! Then we wandered around the town a bit, before having a better look at some of the stands that have been set up for it. We did this twice, as the first time was quite early and most of them were still setting up this morning. On the second trip round, we bumped into one of the other assistants and had a little chat; during which a random person stood beside us and tried to find out where in the UK we came from. Apparently Oxford is in the North East now! After that, we wandered over to my school, which wasn't too far away and had a drink at the cafe nearby. (Behind the church where Angie and the President had their church service in the morning.)

Angela Merkel's visit has caused a little controversy in Saarbruecken, because apparently it wasn't safe enough for her to walk around the stands and see what was available. This, I find quite surprising, when I consider the number of police officers that were in Saarbruecken yesterday. (About twice as many as on the Friday!) At the same time, I'm aware that a man has been arrested here in Germany over a terrorist threat made during the election. However, most Germans aren't quite sure where Saarbruecken is, I'm not overly concerned that any terrorist organisation will be any more certain!

After Pete returned to the land of snails and frogs-legs, I met up with some of the French Assistants, one of whom is working at my Gymnasium. We had a drinks, as a mass of Language Assistants and then about 2200 headed down to Tblisi Place for the Grand Finale of the celebrations. The concert itself was quite an eclectic mix of music, and dancing. There was Precious Wilson, who having looked on Wikipedia was a singer active between 1975 and 1993, who sang a few songs. There was quite a bit of dancing, by the MM Dancers from Berlin, during the gaps in between the other acts. Also playing we had a Korean opera singer, a choir from Berlin, an accordion and violin duet; but the night was really finished off by Chico and the Gypsies. They are musicians born in Morocco or Southern France, whose parents were Spanish and fled during the Civil War. They played quite a few songs, that everyone was able to sing along with, and really ended the evening on a high.

But, that wasn't the end! After the music had finished, there was a truly fantastic firework display, which seemed to correspond with some music being played; including the Marseillaise and, naturally, the European Hymn, Ode to Joy. You can see some of the official pictures of the finale here.

The concert finished about half eleven, so I wandered over to catch the last bus home, and got home about five past midnight. But, it was a fantastic evening, and although it's an annual event, I'm pleased to be able to say I was at the 2009 National Celebration of the Tag der Deutschen Einheit! Tomorrow, I've not got anything quite as exciting planned - packing for Altenberg, and tidying up a bit!


Sunday 4th October

So, this morning I had a rare lie in! When I did finally get up, I sorted out my packing for my trip to Altenberg tomorrow! After that I walked into town (the buses are hourly on Sunday, and about 5 minutes before I decided to leave!) to meet up with some of the French & English assistants. We had a wander through the main shopping street and around St. Johanner Markt and the town was more of a ghost town than it normally is on a Sunday - hardly anything was open, even in terms of cafes!

We did eventually find somewhere, and then I had a nice stroll with two of the French Assistants around Saarbruecken. We did quite a random circuit around the town, up to the Schloss, along to the road alongside it, and back again, down past my school, and over to find out where the Auslaenderamt is. Then we had a nice drink in the cafe across the road from where one of the French Assistant lives. So, all in all, a quiet day really here in Saarbruecken!

As I mentioned earlier I'm off on my Introductory course at Altenberg tomorrow. As there is very little Internet access, I won't be able to update this blog until I get back Thursday. But, rest assured, I shall write all about it then!

No comments:

Post a Comment