Sunday, September 20, 2009

Chapter One - The first week

So, here we go, time for me to explain what's happened since I arrived! Probably easiest to do this in the form of a diary! (Also, this will make it much easier for me, when it comes to writing my reports for uni about what I've done!)


Friday 4th September

Today's the day I leave home for the first time properly, albeit at half 6 in the morning (meaning I was only half awake at the time!). Then began the drive to Dover, which went surprisingly well! (All the accidents on the M4 and M25 happened behind us!) We arrived in plenty of time to catch the ferry on which we were booked at 1200, but with a bit of asking nicely Norfolk Line agreed to put us on the ferry before, which left about half an hour later. The ferry crossing itself was reasonably uneventful - I spent two hours reading my book and drinking coffee, psyching myself up for the long drive the other side.

When we arrived in Dunkerque, it was my turn to take the wheel for the long haul part of the journey to Saarbruecken. If you draw an imaginary straight line between Dunkerque and Saarbruecken, then avoid it, that was the way we came - I've never been in so many European countries as on that day! We drove through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, and then back into France again, where the hotel was! Hooray for the Schengen Agreement! (We drove past Schengen actually!) The drive itself was relatively stress free, apart from the Stau we sat in as we crossed into Germany for an hour because they'd closed the motorway! Poor TomTom couldn't cope! Then we checked into the Hotel F1 about 15km outside of Saarbruecken, and slept in advance of an exciting and interesting day ahead!


Saturday 5th September

So, this was it, my first proper visit to Germany ever (the previous day didn't really count!). Had a few things to do on this day, the first was that we had arranged to go and see a room at 11am, which I was led to believe was one of many this particular woman had available to rent. However, it turned out she only had one room, and that it wasn't her decision about whether I could have it or not; it was the decision of the other people in the flat. On top of that, the room wasn't available until the 1st October. It's worth pointing out, at this juncture, that whilst the schools had not found me anywhere specific, one of my mentor teachers had offered me a room at her house, if I couldn't find anywhere else! So, rather disheartened and let down - we thought we'd go and have a look around Saarbruecken, which was at first glance an OK city (although we didn't really take the time to look on the Saturday!), then after we'd had a short look down the main street (which I know now is called Bahnhofstrasse) we returned to France to do some shopping at the E. Leclerc across the road from the hotel. After all that, we returned to the hotel for a sleep, and hopefully a better following day!


Sunday 6th September

Sunday was set to be a hectic day. I was meeting mentor teachers from both schools (the Ludwigsgymnasium and the Gesamtschule in Ludwigspark) at 10. We had, luckily found the place the day before, so we knew roughly where we were going! After having a coffee, we embarked on a tour with one of my Mentor Teachers from the Ludwigsgymnasium, Sabine Kackert, who showed us some of the more historical and cultural parts of Saarbruecken, as well as giving me the lowdown on the school itself, how the English lessons worked, and how she perceived my role to work. After the tour, we had another walk around Saarbruecken, listened to some live music by the Staatstheater and then went back to the woman from the previous day who had a room I could rent (by the day) until I found somewhere less expensive! After moving in, no mean feat in itself, as I'd brought sooooooooooo much stuff with me (all of it essential, absolutely!) we went for what my Dad ominously termed the "Last Supper"; ooh, did I feel positive then or what! ;-) We had a nice meal in a cafe/bar/restaurant in the St. Johanner Markt in SB, before we returned to my room, and said our farewells.


Then, I was all alone, in the big, wild world that is Saarbruecken...(cue dramatic music)


Monday 7th September

My first day at school! (well, not exactly; I have been to school before, but you get what I mean!) Today I was shadowing my other Mentor Teacher at the Ludwigsgymnasium, Thomas Gross, who was very friendly and welcoming. We met the Schuldirektor, Dr. Heinz Paulus, who teaches English, French and Spanish! After that Thomas introduced me to some of the English teachers, and the rest of the staff in the staffroom. Although I'm sure I spent most of the time looking like a rabbit caught in headlights, just nodding and saying "ja" quite a lot. (Incidentally in Saarland they tend to say "jo" instead of "ja", along with "Meue" instead of (Guten) Morgen or Moin). After my brief meeting with my colleagues for the next nine months, I followed 3 of Thomas' lessons, and one of Rainer Andler's lessons. Both lessons were carried out in slightly different ways, although they all used music in some way to illustrate a point, or to practise specific language! After the lessons, I agreed to meet Thomas again in the afternoon, when we would go and open a bank account.

When I got back to the school, it was a short walk to the bank, and the process of opening the account in itself was much more painless than I imagined it might be! It was all done within about 30 minutes, which left me the afternoon to explore more of Saarbruecken on foot!


Tuesday 8th September

Tuesday was my second, and last day, of the week at Ludwigsgymnasium, and on this day I followed my other Mentor Teacher, Sabine, for her lessons, which again used music in some way. Also, I was set my first homework during this period too! I had to prepare to discuss the topic of Immigration with the Oberstufe, who, for the first time ever, have to do formal oral exams in languages! I finished early at the school today, as Sabine had free lessons, so I used the opportunity to meet up with another English Assistant, and begin the process of registering at the uni as foreign students. This, I thought, would be a 1 day 'in-and-out' job; how wrong I was!


The trip up to the uni itself isn't too bad, about 15 minutes on the bus, which is about the same as Bath to be honest. When you get to the uni, it's relatively easy to find the building in which the Akademische Auslaendersamt is situated, however, when you go in the building you are left to your own devices. We do eventually find it, although it's a wonder there aren't assistants/students from last year still searching the building for it! At the office, they then basically agree to take us on as students, (which we're only doing to get free travel around Saarland, and access to the library and other uni facilities). They then give us a list of things to do/bring with us the next day. So, back into town we go, off to pay €137 at the bank for uni registration for 1 semester. That was pretty much it for Tuesday!


Wednesday 9th September

Wednesday was the first day at my other school, the Gesamtschule in Ludwigspark. I was told on Sunday to report to the Schuldirektor at 9.30 on Wednesday morning and he would sort me out! So, getting there nice and early, (we've all heard the stereotype about German's disliking tardiness) I set about asking the first person I saw where his office was....fine.....but the first person I saw was the Hausmeister, who seemed to recognise what I was saying as German, but felt the need to respond in a thick Saarlandisch dialect (which can sometimes feel as foreign as welsh, although I'm assured it's not really that hard!). After giving him my best rabbit in headlights impression (I'd had a couple of days to perfect it by now!) He eventually took me there. Now comes a dilemma.....what to do.....do you:

a) Wait until 9.30 when he should come and out and meet me?

b) Knock on his door and tell him you're there?

c) Knock on his door and just walk in?

d) A mixture of all of the above?


I opted for D...I waited until about 9.35, after watching the way other teachers handled this dilemma - they all opted for C, but I thought I'd go for B after I'd done A for a bit...but there was no answer....so I bit the bullet and went for C. Surprisingly this seemed expected, and he wasn't at all put out by this! When I told him who I was, he had a bit of a head in hands moment, as he'd forgotten I was coming. Not to worry, he gave me a quick tour of the school, and I was walking home half an hour later!

So, after the short spell at school, I returned to the Uni for stage 2....

Having paid the money into the uni's bank account, and collected the various things I needed to take with me...I headed up to the International Office to collect some more bits of paperwork to take to the registration office. At the registration office, they registered me on a course of Romanisitic Studies (it had lots of places, and it's not expected for me to attend!). Ah, I'd cracked it I thought...when do I get my uni card/bus pass? Alas, not until the next day....ah, well....I was beginning to enjoy the bus ride to the uni anyway!


Thursday 10th September

Another short day at the school, 1 lesson observed, the children were of mixed ability, with some very keen and able, and others who were less of both. I've been reliably informed though that the students do seem to have improved since our first meeting, which can only be a good thing right!?!

The afternoon was devoted to another trip up to the uni, me and bus route 124 are getting to know each other quite well it would seem. Finally, I got my bus pass today, although after being given all your paperwork back, you then have to go to another office where they print your card, and you then validate it in the machine. Then I realised my pass isn't valid until the 1st October. Oh well, it did seem too good to be true! So, until then I'm limited really to Saarbruecken, and some of the small towns surrounding it (although more on those to come later!)


Friday 11th September

Today, I met up with some of the other assistants in Saarbruecken, there's probably about a dozen altogether in Saarland, and about 6 in Saarbruecken itself. We had a coffee, followed by a walk along the Saar, followed by an afternoon spent on Saarbruecken's fake beach (rather like Paris' attempt, but the river seems somewhat cleaner than the Seine!) having a few beers (when in Rome and all that!).


There endeth week one really, there's more to follow, but for now, it's time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment